Tuesday, August 18, 2015

First PhD Hurdle

Yes I call it the first.  My very first PhD hurdle.  Because it was from my labmates.  The closest people I have in my small 'PhD network'.

I don't have strong immediate supporters that are like my labmates.  No other support compares to theirs.  Whether they are aware of it or not, they walk with me through every step of my journey.

Was it my fault?  Should I have let them know earlier that they will still be seeing me around?  Ordering chemicals for me?  Fixing my machines for me?  Having to read Chinese characters when I get lost trying to?  Get scolded at by our Advisor because of me?  Negotiation on my behalf?  Staying up late in the lab to give me a hand?  Answer my questions on Line any time of the day or night?

They are the real deal behind my work.  They do not receive enough credit for it.  They are not being appreciated enough.  They do not realize that I need them more than any other group in the campus.

Today was different though.  They reacted with surprised looks on their faces.  I got the shock of the day.  Hope this doesn't last the whole week.  Really not in the mood to make another blog post about it.

Well it seems this could be the beginning of a thread-like topic here.

They laughed in mockery at the news that our Advisor has already had my 'next topic' in mind.  They gasped at the idea that I would be staying for PhD.  They had expected me to finish my paper, have it published and be off and out of the lab.

I had to defend myself by answering their questions with rhetorical questions.  I had to.  I became defensive.

Yes they were on my side.  But I need to get them on my side again.  Don't wanna be walking this road alone you guys.

So I am taking my time.  Allowing time to let the news sink in.  Soon we'll be on the same page again.  All I need is time.  And orders from my Advisor for my darling lab mates to go about my case.  Of course.  Then I'll be good.

Good to go.  Good to overcome this and be ready for the next, more bigger, hurdles.

My dearest Labmates.  We are family.  We will always be.  Well, at least for the next three years.

Love, Ny.

No comments:

Post a Comment